Tuesday, November 17, 2009

50’s Christmas - Retro Tuesday and Vintage Thingies Thursday (VTT)

I have a confession.  I am not a huge fan of Christmas.  When I was a teenager, I lost my mom to cancer a few weeks before Christmas.  Christmas was never the same after that.

This year I am making a sincere effort to get back to seeing Christmas in all it’s glory.  So in that spirit, I have a little vintage Christmas to show you.

Napco babies

1950’s Napco babies.  Aren’t they sweet?

Napco backs

Oops!  Little exposed derrieres!

Napco Babies NO


Napco Babies EL

I’m linking up to Tracey’s Retro Tuesday over at The Crazy Suburban Mom and Colorado Lady's Vintage Thingies Thursday.  Take a peek…

One last word.   One of our local radio stations has already begun playing Christmas music 24/7.  In early November?   Huh?   I can't help but think that all of the little kids who have no concept of time, must be anxiously awaiting Santa...... for 6 weeks!  Well that’s just not right.

21 comments:

  1. I love the Napco babies! soooo cute! Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry to hear of your loss at such an impressionable age. I truly hope that you can again find the wonderful spirit this season is meant to bring. Those vintage angels are cute and a great start!
    Many Blessings, Maureen!
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry to hear about your Mom. And I hope you can capture some of the Christmas joy and spirit again.

    The babies are darling!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Napco babies are so cute!! What a great vintage Christmas decoration!
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are adorable, Ive never seen them but so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your little babies! I always have a twinge of sadness at Christmas too cuz I lost my mom to cancer in my mid 20s and we shared a love of Christmas together. I know she would want me to continue loving it- so I do. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Maureen, I'm so sorry you lost your Mom. At Christmas time. I can't imagine. I can certainly understand your not being crazy about Christmas.
    Those Napco babies are spectacular! No one did Christmas like Napco. All of their stuff is just adorable!
    We've got a radio station that plays Xmas music 24/7 at Christmas time. They usually start the day after Thanksgiving, but they're already doing it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you all for your kind words. I wouldn't normally disclose it but since I'm working on changing it, it seemed relevant. I'm feeling it - all will be well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a precious Christmas decoration! I agree Christmas starts too early. I try to insulate myself from the commercialization of the Christmas spirit and try not to feel odd if I'm not feeling it! Your Napco babies however are full of Christmas spirit! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are so darn cute! I just love Napco pieces! And I agree, this playing Christmas music in November is just wrong.....I had a terrible time waiting for Santa when I was young, thinking about it in November would have put me over the edge!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Six weeks of Christmas is a marketing ploy-the longer it lasts the more people spend!
    Your little cherubs are very sweet, I'm glad you are displaying them this year.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Christmas comes earlier and earlier each year, doesn't it?? It can be a difficult time for many of us but I'm glad to see you are getting in the spirit!! Cute cherubs!!

    Cheers,

    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh so cute!!! I too lost my Mom right before the holidays too. So I do know what you are feeling. I hope that you will welcome the Christmas season as a time to enjoy good memories and make new ones.

    Jocelyn
    http://justalittlesouthernhospitality.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those are SO cute! (And...to answer the question you left on my blog - yes...I did modge podge it.)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I feel it takes away from the true meaning of Christmas when they start it sometimes by Halloween. I am not one to go overboard for decorations an such, but do enjoy the lights and season. Happy to have you visit me today.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's too early for Christmas music! Your little angels are so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  17. They are so sweet. I do hope this Christmas is filled with all the good memories and you make lots of new ones.
    My mother died on Valentines Day and it's never been the same. My husband is good with that though , no gifts please.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love those, they are so cute. Stores can't wait for Halloween to be over before putting out their Christmas stuff. Some people decorate for Christmas before Thanksgiving comes around, I always wait until December. I am sorry Christmas holds sad memories for you, my mother died 13 yrs ago on my husband's birthday, and I always think of her on his birthday, but still celebrate it, because she loved Charley and always had a card for him every year. I try and remember the happy moments.

    ReplyDelete
  19. These are so sweet!! I am so sorry for your loss, that I am sure has been very hard. Love your vintage treasures today...so cute! And I agree....not right to make the kids excited and Christmas 6 weeks away....Have a great VTT!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love those Napco babies! So funny how they included the open flap in the back.

    I'm so sorry about your mom, and I'm glad you're creating a new spirit of Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm sorry to hear your mom passed away when you were a young age. I hope you can recapture
    the happiness you once had, and create new holiday memories. These are just adorable little figurines.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails