Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Huh? It’s not just me, is it? - VTT

Even in her absence, Coloradolady (Suzanne) has set up her weekly Vintage Thingy Thursday post.  What a hostess!

I love old magazines and catalogs.  I love the photos and graphics but the ads and text is  sometimes downright hilarious.  Things that seemed so normal then, is silly or even ludicrous today.  

I was flipping through the pages of the 1955 Spiegel catalog when I came across this page.

Spiegel 1955 PET PAGE (2) Isn’t this odd?

Spiegel 1955 Birds 
Talking Parrots, Toucans and Cockatiels?

Spiegel 1955 Chatterkeet Chatter-keets!

Spiegel 1955 Burro The logistics of keeping and shipping birds is bad enough but a burro?

If I recall correctly, I became familiar with Spiegel because they were advertisers on the Price Is Right.  Am I right?  If so, what would Bob Barker think?   After all, he was one of the first animal advocates that I remember.

For more Vintage Thingies visit  .........

16 comments:

  1. Nope, it's not just you. I too love them and often pick them up at my store and look through 'em! Occassionaly a customer will come up with a really cool one I didn't see. I have my family room filled with vintage advertising signs!

    Take care, Sue4

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is really strange! Poor animals.

    Bob Parker was surely unaware...and never picked up a Spiegel catalog

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd say any child would be surprised if they received a burro! What an interesting ad. I always love the old magazines you show.
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wasn't Spiegel stuff also on Let's Make a Deal with Monte Hall? Interesting stuff! I can't imagine there was much demand for Mexican burros, but who knows?

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh i agree i love those delightful vintage magazines too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I love vintage magazines! Oh my, interesting and unusual things in that catalog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have had many of these catalogs in the past. I really enjoyed them and ordered things. I have not seen them in years. Guess they are out of business in catalogs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is weird. I'm wondering how they planned on shipping the poor burro? UPS? Post Office? Weird, but interesting ad.

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow! a burro?! i love old catalogs too. thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hahaha Really? A burro for only $8/month? I am so on that. Ask anyone that knows me and they'll tell you I've been completely obsessed with owning a donkey for the last 7 years. Do you think he could live in my basement? LOL

    Thanks for sharing!! I really needed that chuckle today!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's kind of mind bloggling, isn't it????

    What did you get in the mail today:

    Oh, just three bills, a letter and a donkey.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great post, very funny! Surprise them with...a Mexican Burro??? Would have loved to have been a fly on the wall in that house. Great stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Maureen, thanks for visiting my blog this week! I also love the old ads and catalogs, but wow this is crazy! I wonder if, instead of actually shipping animals, they put you in touch with local or regional breeders or something? I would INDEED be surprised if I received a burro as a gift... when what I really need is a goat to help me with my mowing... LOL

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Maureen, Thanks for stopping by for a visit. That is one intresting ad. Have a great Sunday...Julian

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for your comments on my blog:) I like your blog! That is a funny add...

    I'm going to follow your blog and add you to my list!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Can you imagine filling out the order form, thinking you're ordering a parakeet, and a burro ends up on your doorstep?! I've never heard of selling animals through a catalog back then, and I think you're right that Bob Barker would be appalled!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails