Now, I may not be a fashionista but I do have a an appreciation for the styles of days gone by. I was flipping through a 1933 Spiegel catalog (now just that name is the blast from the past for me!) and came across these ladies….
Tres chic, oui?
And gents….
To complete their attire….
It’s easy to see why pocket watches are prized collectibles today. So very elegant!
Now for something a little more risque!
1933? Really? Oh-la-la! Look at those stockings! Silk chiffon! They look so pretty the way they “fall” in the picture.
Silly (but true) story. Growing up, my mom was a stay at home mom and rarely got “dolled up”. On the rare occasion that she did, I remember sitting on the floor in her bedroom watching her as she got ready for the night. Awestruck. Even after all these years, there are three distinct things that have stuck with me. One was the smell of her lipstick. The second was the the blue bottle of “Evening in Paris” perfume that she wore. (I have collected a few blue bottles in recent years.) And, lastly, was the feel of her stockings. At the risk of sounding like an “odd bird”……. I remember touching her stockings and marveling at the feel. So wonderfully silky!
So that’s my VTT post for this week. Can’t wait to check out yours @ Suzanne’s blog.
The styles and fashions were amazing. I had not thought of the smell of lipstick until I read this, but that sure brought back a lot of memories of digging in my mom's makeup drawer! Great post! Have a great VTT!
ReplyDeleteI remember the Spiegel book. I always looked forward to it. I was sorry when they stopped sending them out.
ReplyDeletevery interesting adverts! love to see how the ladies dress in the old days..
ReplyDeleteIt's interesting how elongated the women are. No real woman was ever that tall and thin!
ReplyDeleteHi Maureen,
ReplyDeletethanks for coming by for a visit! I used to sit on my mom's bed and watch her get ready for an evening out too! I still have some of her jewelrey that she wore on those occasions too. She wore Chantily perfume. thanks for the memories!
Debbie
Great vintage catalog! I love that whole era of clothing!
ReplyDeleteI though maybe Spiegel's had totally gone out of business, but it looks like they have an online store. Online is not the same as spending hours flipping through the catalogs dreaming of things. Those old catalogs would be all dog eared by the time a new one arrived.
ReplyDeleteGreat post. I remember the smell of my mother's lipstick, too, now that you mention it. Must be something in the way they used to make it. Catalogues were great. My best friend and I would spend hours flipping through the Sears Wish Book when we were little. Great memories.
ReplyDeletetres chique indeed! how lovely to hear about your childhood memories of when your mother used to dress up..amazing the things we remember. a most delightful post :) x
ReplyDeleteLove the vintage catalog pages, so much fun!
ReplyDeleteHappy VTT,
Sally
Do you know, I don't ever remember my Mom getting dolled up! But she did have some nice pearl necklaces in pretty velvet boxes that I always liked going into her dresser drawers to look at. Actually I still do that when I visit her!
ReplyDeleteNice vintage ads. You must have a great collection of old magazines and catalogs!
Happy Monday!
Carol