As of today I have been without my laptop for 2 weeks. In computer years, that’s about 2 years!!! Two weeks ago tonight I had my laptop on the kitchen counter because my printer was not co-operating. I was making a huge batch of Bolognese sauce to freeze and I was trying out a new recipe so when the printer would not print, I did the next best thing. Or so I thought. I put the laptop on the kitchen counter. With tomato sauce, and wine, and, well you get the idea. Snap, crackle, pop. It has been at the doctor’s office for almost 2 weeks now. 1st diagnosis – motherboard. 2nd diagnosis + video card.
In the meantime I have been making do with with my old desktop. As in my 6 or 7 year old computer. Young for me or you. Computers, not so much. Suffice it to say that this has been an extremely aggravating two weeks. I could go on and on but I am fairly certain that most of you know what I am dealing with. I have seriously pondered putting this computer out of it’s misery via hammer. Instead I have chosen to take the high road. Brings me back to Lamaze class. Breath. Breath. (“Lamaze” on it’s own should qualify as my vintage thingie!)
So in addition to working with a less than co-operative computer, most of my pictures are on vacation as well. At the doctor’s office. So I’m delving onto this old computer.
Let’s see….a road trip is in order…Quebec…Vermont…
About 20 miles before crossing the High Gates Spring border from Quebec into Vermont is this sight. He is about 20-25 feet high. My kids used to call this guy “French Fry Man” because he is in a parking lot that housed a hot dog “joint” with an antique shop out back. Apparently the hot dog joint is no more. So he is now “legeantantique”. Dot com no less. Progress!
A little closer to the Canada/US border…..
An old Quebec dairy farm….complete with cows & the mandatory barn cat.
Then you cross the border into Vermont…
….and come upon a quintessential Vermont farm. Shhh! Don’t tell anyone, I was driving on I-89 when I took this pic.
Pretty cool, yes? These whale tails are “planted” along the side of I-89. This is the blurb (verbatim) that I found when I googled:
“ They were Vermont's famous Whales' Tails sculpture is seen by thousands every day--er, rather, hundreds (this is Vermont)--as they whizz by in their cars on I-89. This trail will take you around for a close-up look at the black granite sculpture, which stands 12-13 feet tall. The sculpture's real title, "Reverence," is meant to evoke the fragility of the planet. Jim Sardonis of Randolph, VT, created the piece in 1989.”
I have been driving by this for years and still find it so cool when I pass. In 2006 when my father passed away in a very odd way, it was comforting. There was almost (yet, not quite) a rainbow behind it as I drove home. Kind of surreal. A message? Can’t say for sure.
It’s Vintage Thingies Thursday time so go check out more vintage fun! Suzanne is a wonderful host!
P.S. If I don't get my laptop back soon, I may have to hit myself with the aforementioned hammer. Puh-lease Mr. Computer Dr., I need my computer back.
Oh Maureen! I can so relate to your frustration! A couple of weeks before Christmas, my laptop hard drive crashed! Everything lost! Like as in FOREVER gone! a week later hubbys laptop seemed to have gone into a coma. And then our PC ~ motherboard fried! Our house was NOT a pretty place to be. We were not pretty people, we were barely human at one point! LOL
ReplyDeleteI hope you get your laptop back soon!
Have a good day!
Oh Diann! Does that not make us the saddest creatures ever??? A computer is like, umm... breathing?
ReplyDeleteOh Maureen you certainly made my day! No vacation is complete without a sighting of the HotDog man! And the barns and the whale tails! It brings me back and I so want to go on vacation right now!
ReplyDeleteThank you (I'm all for klempt)
Hi Maureen,
ReplyDeleteSorry to hear about the computer problems! I know how frustrating that can be.
You found some great pictures to share on your trusty desk top. I've never been to Vermont...it looks beautiful!
Jane
I feel your pain. Been there about a month ago, having to use the backup contraption while it was in the shop. Ugh. Anyway, I enjoyed this virtual road trip through such a picturesque part of the country!
ReplyDeleteSorry you are sans laptop. I love the pictures...especially the dairy farm. We lived in Minnesota for years and it reminds me of driving thru the Wisconsin countryside.
ReplyDeleteBlessings!
Gail
Even with all your computer problems and frustration, you still came out with a great blog for today.
ReplyDeleteI HATE computers! I had two go down on my last year. First my desktop that has EVERYTHING on it for my store and was under warranity. Listen up people, NEVER by a Dell, worst customer service ever! And my laptop took a nosedive at the end of the year, also a Dell! All I can say is I "FEEL" your pain!
ReplyDeleteTake care, Sue
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteLove the "French Fry Guy"! I love spying stuff like this on vacation drives!
ReplyDeleteSure hope you get your computer back soon. I have been know to wander aimlessly about when mine goes down. It's like losing your best friend..Happy VTT..have a lovely weekend.
ReplyDeleteI love your pictures that you took traveling. The French Fry guy is quite unique. The barns are cool too. Thank you leaving a comment on my blog.
ReplyDeleteHave a wonderful day
Ann
tin and sparkle
Wow your picture is great. The barn and that whale tail is amazing. I so wish to visit that place someday.
ReplyDeleteVTT old photo album
The whale tails are wonderful!
ReplyDeleteGreat post-sorry about your computer problems but glad you showed us these photos! Love the French fry guy!
ReplyDeleteStill chuckling over Lamaze!
Well....we have the reverse problem....I am stuck using my sons laptop and it drives me bonkers...I can not wait to get my desk top back, it is in the shop too from a virus! Uhh....I hate computer troubles....loved your pictures! Happy VTT!
ReplyDeleteI really like the farm photos and the whale tales. Nice pictures. Hope your laptop is back home soon. These computers, when they work they're so great. When they don't, it makes you want to pull your hair!
ReplyDeleteI so understand the computer frustration. We get so used to fast, that the "old" computers seem to take forever. But it is better than none! Nice pictures today.
ReplyDeleteKnow what's really odd? I looked at this post at least once before and never commented and I have no idea why not. I must be losing it maureen... I for real have had my share of computer issues and I so I had something to say, lol. And came today and darn if I didn't say a thing!
ReplyDeleteLosing it, I swear.
Tracy
I hope your laptop recovers soon. That must be very frustrating!
ReplyDeleteSo sorry to hear about the laptop. When computers started to become popular way back, I didn't want one. Now I can't do without one. Big part of our lives.
ReplyDeleteMy issue is email right now. Tried numerous times to email you and it has bounced many times. It appeared that it did go through last week. Let me know if you did not receive it...
Cindy at Lakewood