I’ve not seen “Weather Bird” shoes before. I’m guessing that the association with the Disney characters was a great boon to sales!
“Wherever we go Libby’s is best!”. Where do you suppose these cowgirls might go?
The lady in the last photo is very pretty so why would someone do that to her! Payback? Maybe she offended the editor.
Now we’re talking! Quelle fashionista! Look at that waist!
Isn’t this pretty?
I love this! I must admit I would never have thought this is something you would see in a 1953 edition of Woman’s Day. Am I alone? On second thought, she does remind me of Ava Gardener.
Now why did they have to go and stick this thing in there? Talk about a reality check. First high fashion then the everyday ho-hum. I remember my mom rolling one of these monsters over to the kitchen sink a few times a week. And I complain about doing laundry? Puts things in perspective.
And for more balance, let’s be reminded of another chore.
7 cents! How could that be? I know it’s 1953 but still!
So that’s it for this week. I am linking up to Retro Tuesday at the Crazy Suburban Mom’s and Vintage Thingie Thursday at Colorado Lady.
Oh Oh Oh! I love this but than....Of course I would but I so love this! And your so right that last hat! OMG -thats hysterical. And the waists on the woman must be like 18 inches! Holy smokes! Ive not seen any of those ads before!! So much fun!
ReplyDeleteTracy
Great walk down memory lane.
ReplyDeleteThank you for such a charming post.
hugs
Sissie
What a nice post! I love how the ads used to look...so inviting!
ReplyDeleteas for your question on my painted furniture...I used regular old latex wall paint...this time I used a semi-gloss...but it looks great in satin too!
What a fun post to read. My parents were married in April, 1953 so this was a lot of fun for me to read and see what my newlywed mother might have been reading "back in the day".
ReplyDeleteJane
I was born in the 50's, so "sadly" I DO remember some of the advertising! I love the photos, thanks for posting them.
ReplyDeleteTake care, Sue
I think I remember Peter Pan shoes. Must have been around for a few more years!
ReplyDeleteI just love the clothes. I wore my mom's cotton floral shirts from the 50s when I was a young woman. I still love that style, can't find them now!
Kathy
I remember the Peter Pan shoes, and what I would not give to have a washer like that...(I want to turn it into a planter) I love the great ads in these pictures....they are so much better to look at then the ads of today. Happy VTT! Thanks for posting these today!
ReplyDeleteWhat an awesome post...I had a blast looking! I'm having a giveaway...come by and check it out:)
ReplyDeleteBlessings,
Linda
My favorite is the cowgirls in the Libby's ad.
ReplyDeleteVintage magazines are so fun to look at, especially the advertising.
ReplyDeleteI LOVE THOSE OLD MAGAZINES, the ads are so much fun, the colors are so great too. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteYes, I remember a couple of those things. Way back when!!!!
ReplyDeleteI just bought a new washing machine, but it doesn't look like that! Actually that old wringer would probably last a lot longer than today's electronic ones. My neighbour used to have a wringer washing machine, and I was always fascinated to watch her do her washing when I was a kid!
ReplyDeleteTerrific post! Thanks so much for sharing this 1953 magazine. I can't believe that pattern included all those pieces...what a deal.
ReplyDeleteIsn't it funny that the laundry ad was for a wringer washing machine and a dryer? I thought that there were already washing machines with the wringer action automatic (spin cycle!).Personally, I'd have gone for that and hung up the clothes-wringing was hard work.
You know I love vintage mags! It's a very nice selection of ads and features. Thanks for sharing! :)
ReplyDeleteLove the ads! And oh how I wish that we could still buy magazines for 7 cents. I'd buy a lot more if they weren't $4 each!!
ReplyDeleteThis magazine came out before I was born 3 months later! Love the ads.
ReplyDeleteI love all of these old magazine adds. I really enjoy searching through piles of them in the antiques stores. I think my Mom had that wringer washer when I was in elem school in the 1950's. Thanks for your nice comments.
ReplyDeleteAnn
Hi, Love these vintage ads! I was born in the 50's, and these bring back great memories!
ReplyDeletethanks for sharing.
Debbie
You have a really nice collection of old magazines. Some of them I have seen. Really enjoyed seeing them all once again.
ReplyDeleteGreat post!!!! Love the lady in brown with the hat!
ReplyDeleteWhat fun looking at these pictues! I am laughing because I have a pair of shoes that look like the one picture! Is that bad? This was a great post! Thanks for sharing :)
ReplyDeleteWendy
Love the old ads, especially the "bird shoes"!
ReplyDeleteOh I love the weatherbird shoes, I would buy any of those for my kids. They don't make such handsome shoes anymore.
ReplyDeleteAnd those model's waists seem most unnatural.
But at least she has a serious set of hips on her, though I am sure it's just the flouncy dress. lol
That rain hat is priceless. I can't imagine anyone wanting to purchase that. I agree she made the wrong person very angry lol
thanks for taking the time to visit my blog too :)
-brightest blessings-
Karina
thasnifty.blogspot.com
Oh I love that mini (dress/romper) with the cropped jacket and sandals. Very chic! What neat ads, thanks for posting!
ReplyDeleteI love so many of the clothes, and I think my mom had some of that rain gear,but not the black hat! I'd love to know about storing and protecting your magazines the next time you post one.
ReplyDeleteI'm a little late with my visits. I hope you checked out my 2 giveaways when you visited my VTT!
Love the white dress and all the red lipstick...Classics never go out of style!
ReplyDeleteHi Maureen! I wish you would share your old magazines more often too! Those ads are a real eyeopener into the lives of women from that era. I especially like the one for wringer washers. Brings back great memories of doing laundry at my Grandma's. It was fun, with a slight hint of danger!
ReplyDeleteI've been a very lazy blogger lately, but I've made a pact with myself to spend at least 30 minutes every day catching up with my favorite blogs. Hope all is well with you!
Happy Weekend!
Carol