Depending upon the piece, I often prefer them tarnished. I don’t like when the tarnish is spotty but otherwise, tarnished is good. One thing that I have found is when I find pieces that have been neglected forever and I want to clean up the blackened look, it’s time for a bath. Scrub-a-dub-dub time for the tub.
They started like this.
The pieces that I did worked out well – some I wanted a little shinier so I finished them off with polish. Some were perfect.
After the spa treatement.....
After the spa treatement.....
This brush is sterling and it turned out great.
The carved handled sugar bowl did peel a little.
(sorry for the poor quality of the picture)
NOTE: If your piece is valuable, you might want to use the traditional silver polishes. You wouldn’t want to ruin an heirloom.
For more silver lovelies, visit Beth at Gypsy Fish. You’ll be glad you did!
Hi Maureen!
ReplyDeletePretty silver and a great tip! thanks!
Happy silver Sunday!
Thanks for the cleaning tarnish recipe. Your pieces are just lovely...julie
ReplyDeleteI'll use the foil, soda and warm water treatment on a few of my silver treasures. Your goodies are beautiful!
ReplyDeleteLinda
Ah, I forgot silver Sunday! I was going to do it this week-end, darn! I just posted too. I think I'll save the ladle for next week end than... shoot!
ReplyDeleteI love this tip though. I'm totally going to try it!
Tracy
Pretty pieces and a good tip.
ReplyDeleteKathy
I've gotta try this! Thanks for the tip ... amazing what is hiding under the tarnish!
ReplyDeletexo
Jill
Thank you for a great tip! These silver pieces are lovely. I really like the brushes. I'd love to have a hairbrush and mirror for my dresser. I'm on the lookout!
ReplyDeleteHappy Silver Sunday!
((Hugs))
Great tip...I never heard of that....I have heard of using ketchup or toothpaste (and they work)but never your concoction....I'm going to have to try this one.
ReplyDeleteSee You Next Sunday......
{{gypsy hugs}}
Beth
Oh, I would just love to find one of those hairbrushes! That is just adorable!
ReplyDeleteVery pretty silver! I'm especially in love with that beautiful container!
ReplyDeleteHappy Silver Sunday!
Hugs,
Julia
Thanks for your recipe for silver cleaner. I'll do that right along with my daily dusting and vacuuming (giggle).
ReplyDeleteHope you'll stop by for a visit at Brynwood, too.
xoxo
Donna
Thanks for the silver lesson. I do love the look of polished silver, however, tarnished says well worn and loved...... and lazy. Oh well.
ReplyDeleteIv'e never heard of this. Great idea. Love tarnish, but I really like to see the shine! Have a wonderful SS!
ReplyDeleteDebra
Hi Maureen,
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for your tip on removing some of the tarnish on your silver items. I actually don't mind my silver tarnished but when it's spotty like you said it would be nice to use your idea to clean it up a bit. Lovely treasures!!! I love the brushes! I just found your blog through Beth at Gypsy Fish and I love it.
Sincerely,
Melinda
I know what you mean about the silver. It does look prettier if it's tarnished without spots. I'll have to try your technique.
ReplyDeleteYour silver things are so lovely. I love the brush.
Thanks for visiting my blog and commenting. I really appreciate your kind comments.
I'm glad I have found your blog. I'm going snooping around a bit, and I am signing up to follow.
Sissie
Beautiful silver, Maureen. Love the sugar bowl! And thanks for the cleaning tip too.
ReplyDeleteHave a beautiful new week...Kathy
That is just exactly how I clean my silver!! I love how easy it makes it. Happy Silver Sunday!
ReplyDeletexojanis
Hmmm I may have to try the spa bath on some of my pieces...TFS Have a lovely Silver Sunday.
ReplyDelete