Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Family Circle – December 1959 – Retro Tuesday & Vintage Thingies Thursday (VTT)

Just thought I would share a little Christmas from many moons ago.  This being December and all!  December?  Oy.

Cover

Tide Santa Ad

A thought just occurred to me.  Do they even make powdered detergents anymore?
Home Life Fashion ad 1

Love the vibrant colors!  Although I think perhaps the tablecloth and dress may have been switched in the pic on the left!

Christmas Poem

Who knew that the innocent mention of Iraq in 1959 would have so much meaning today.   A reminder to pray for the safe and speedy return for the women and men in Iraq and Afghanistan.

I'm linking up to Tracey's Retro Tuesday over at the Crazy Suburban Mom.   And Colorado Lady's Vintage Thingies Thursday.   Always interesting!    And you should really read the post after VTT cuz her son is reeeeally a sweetie!  

32 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing...was Christmas really a simpler time back then...just wondering...
    Living it up at Lakewood,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maureen, thanks for your interest in the HELPFUL HINTS FOR DAILY LIVING blog party. I never know when I'll be posting this, so it's kind of a "surprise party"!! My schedule is crazy so I can't commit to a certain day. Please keep your eye out for it. I would love to have more participants...any helpful hint would be great and I know you have alot just by reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't you just LOVE those magazines? You really can just get lost in them for hours and hours... And funny about the dress and table cloth. LOLOLOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love looking at old magazines. The content and the advertisements are so very interesting. Great post.
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those remind me of my mother. She would also buy GoodHouseKeeping. I love old magazines.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I sooo have an obsession with old magazines. Such a blast from the past. And then there are the graphics, and articles that blow my mind, and......well you know.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great of collection of vintage magazines you have. I loved seeing them again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, those are awesome! I'm a sucker for the "vintage" housewife. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I just love looking all your vintage stuff, thanks for sharing!

    My Life’s Photo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those were more innocent times. It was nice growing up in the 50's!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like your old Christmas magazine. I'm doing 1959 today tooo.

    I use powdered detergent. I bought liquid detergent once and thought it was too messy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was but a babe in diapers when this magazine arrived on the scene but I love seeing what was going on in the world before I knew what the world was!

    Hmmm...so there is still powdered detergent. Just goes to show you how we train our minds to go for what we are looking for and not much else. I really

    ReplyDelete
  13. ...oops message cut. I really was NOT sure if there was powdered anymore!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's an awesome trip back in time. I love to see all the vintage magazines!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ok, I know I'm probably weird for this but I think I would totally wear one of those dresses!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ohh, what a wonderful post..that magazine..at 10 cents!!!!, the cover is just wonderful. I love it..and love that gingham dress inside. It would have been perfect with some chicken scratch embroidery on it. :). Happy VTT..have a lovely weekend. I'm participating this week, even tho I'm unable to sign in.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Maureen!
    I was so happy to see that you had stopped by for a visit :) I love looking at vintage magazines, I can get lost in them for hours :) Like Keri said, I would wear some of the dresses from the 40's & 50's. Just this week, I had a couple of young girls, one was still in high school and the other was mid 20's, come into the shop and buy some of our vintage hats and dresses. Curious, I asked them both what they were going to do with their purchases and both said they love wearing vintage clothing and do so often. LOVE it!
    Have a great week,
    Toni

    ReplyDelete
  18. i simply adore vintage mags and yours is priceless..thanks for letting us flick thru the pages :))

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great magazine! Love the Tide Santa ad! and yes,there is still powdered detergent-thank goodness! We put boxes of Tide Free in our suitcase and bring it here because there is no perfume free detergent here.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I just love old magazine ads, they have such a charm and warm feel to them, nothing like the ads of today. This is a great magazine to have!! Happy VTT to you!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh, I just love it! What beautiful ads...and that cover is precious!

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a great old magazine! I would love to add to my collection. The only thing stopping me is that they would have to go into the attic, because I have no room for them!
    Happy VTT!
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  23. I actually really want to wear that lovely red checked dress. REALLY!
    Marie @ Lemondrop ViNtAge
    Charmed giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great post! Love the old magazine.


    Jocelyn
    http://justalittlesouthernhospitality.blogspot.com/
    http://happycottagequilter.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  25. This makes me remember my Mom's Family Circle magazines. I think it'll take more than Tide to clean up Santa's suit!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm so glad that I am not the only one who saves old mags. Aren't they the best and the pictures you shared today are lovely, Family Circle has certainly changed over the years.

    Happy VTT,

    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh what a sweet collection...the poem is very touching.

    Virginia
    http://livinglocalnh.blogspot.com/2009/12/vintage-thingies-thursday-my-kitchen.html

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a great time to be alive! Simpler, easier, not so fast paced.... I was just little and this magazine reminds me of the magic of this season for a little one....

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wonderful vintage Christmas, Maureen! Hope you're enjoying our non-Christmas weather today!

    ReplyDelete
  30. What fun photos. And LOL to your comment about the dress and tablecloth switch. I remember when wearing red gingham was stylish, I still have the red gingham dress my grandma made me!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails