I know that a many fellow bloggers also sell on ebay and I wanted to get your opinions on something.
I have a listing for a vintage toy right now. I purposely did a 5 day listing so that it ends on Monday. My thinking was that it could be received in time for Christmas. Yesterday I had a buyer send an email asking if I would list with a “Buy It Now” option. This is how I responded:
“Dear XXXXX,
Hello - First, I don't think that Buy It Now can be added after there is a bid.
Also, I have had this asked before and in all fairness to others who are interested in it, I would feel uncomfortable changing the listing now. There are other watchers and I just feel it would not be fair.
Since the listing finishes on Monday afternoon it is possible to have it before Christmas. If paid immediately. You can choose Priority Mail (as used in the listing)and it is supposed to arrive in 2-3 business days. OR I can send it overnight by UPS or USPS Express Mail which is supposed to be overnight. The increased cost would be at your expense. You can calculate it yourself if you like. My zip code is XXXXX and the weight is 3-4 lbs. Or you can send me your zip code and I will get the rate for you.”
Has this happened to you before? Is this how you would have handled it?
I think it all depends on the situation. I always refused to do BINs when I was selling but this close to xmas...I can see why someone wants to get it bought and paid for asap - they may have to catch a flight on the 23rd or any other reason.
ReplyDeleteGo with your gut on this one!
We usually refuse a 'buy it now' if there are watchers and/or interest in the item. You can cancel your item if there are no bids and relist it as a buy it now. I would be concerned with getting the item to the buyer before Christmas as there are major snowstorms starting right now. Just saying....
ReplyDeleteThanks ladies. The text in blue was actually what I did send to the the buyer so there would be no changing it now anyway. On the occasions that someone has asked, I have never changed it to a BIN. I just wanted to see what my fellow bloggers would do. It just rattles me when someone asks me to do that. Are they trying to pull a fast one? My sense of fairness always wins out.
ReplyDeleteCindy, my listing clearly states that with the holiday next week it is highly unlikely that they will receive this item in time for Xmas so bid accordingly.
Yes, this has happened to me too. And you handled it the same way that I did. You definitely can't change anything once there's a bid, and secondly, if I was one of the people watching that item, I would be pretty mad if you could change it to Buy It Now. I've encountered some strange people on Ebay, that's for sure!
ReplyDelete