More gorgeous red dresses. Can you tell I like red? As a little girl if you had asked me what a “fancy” lady would wear, the lady on the left would be the embodiment of what I would describe. All poofy and lacey and flouncy, and red! Quintessential beauty.
Madonna move over! Ummmm…..the word that comes to mind is “turbo-boost”. Look at the “What goes on…..?” lady. I was wondering what’s going on myself. With that hat, long white gloves and flouncy skirt. I think if the gal on the right were in anything other than a high fashion magazine she might be considered a hussy.
Vacation on Mars. Interesting. The story is about just what it says. A 73 year old taking a vacation on Mars for health purposes. And the tall lady on the right page? She’s a Martian woman. If you look at the close up below, this incredibly futuristic story takes place in 2001! Oy!
And finally, this Kotex ad. After all, what else says Kotex better than a fancy pants outfit.
Sorry for such a long post but I had a hard time narrowing it down. So many interesting things from long ago.
Time to check out more fun vintage things over at Colorado Lady’s blog – Vintage Thingies Thursday (VTT).


Love the old magazines and catalogs. Oh, the memories that some bring back.
ReplyDeletewhat a FABULOUS magazine...love seeing all those stunning 50s fashions!
ReplyDeleteAll that stuff is interesting, but the cover is my favorite part.
ReplyDeleteLove love love the elegance & propriety of the older magazines. The fashions remind me of my Mum & aunts when I was a little girl. And yes the red is smashing. There's a sign in a store in Ouray[CO] that says'"All a girl really needs is attitude and a kick-ass red lipstick"! I think that says it all about red!
ReplyDeleteOh I love that Roslyn! I love the sign you mention. After all, life is all about attitude! And kick ass red lipstick too!
ReplyDeleteI would enjoy seeing more pages! LOL So, I didn't think it was too long at all!
ReplyDeleteWe've come a long way from the uncomfortable undergarments and dresses. Thank goodness. It is so much fun looking back at what was fashionable and realizing it has come back again!
ReplyDeleteThe smoking lady doesn't look cool today, nor do the turbo-boosters. I wonder what it is in today's magazines that people will notice in 50 years?
ReplyDeleteVery cool magazine!
ReplyDeleteBring on those beautiful red dresses!
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed your post....loved looking at all of the pictures and your commentary was perfect!! Loved the turbo-booster!!! And the futuristic story about 2001...too funny. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteJane
I love adored and buy vintage magazines all the time! Ive never bought vogue but will. This was really fun to look at! WOW!
ReplyDeleteVintage Vogue magazines are great finds. A year ago I bought a ton of them at an auction and resold on eBay. They are hard to find and worth a pretty penny. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteLove it! I will now look for old Vogue magazines!
ReplyDeleteThose are fantabulous magazines. The ads say it all, don't they? Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteI just became a follower...
Living it up at Lakewood,
Cindy
Wonderful red dresses. They were probably well made too.
ReplyDelete2001?!?!!? Boy....that says it all right??? Loved this post and all the magazine pages...I wish I looked like that martian girl...LOL!!!
ReplyDeleteHave a great weekend and a wonderful VTT!
It's so sad that we haven't managed to make advancements like that yet. We so should have by now! This is really cool! That red dress is fabulous! I would totally wear that now!
ReplyDeleteHi Maureen!
ReplyDeleteThanks for stopping by my blog. Regarding your question wondering if the resale shop was a church one (the unique price tags makes reference to that), it actually isn't. It is an independent resale shop but is heavily steeped in Christianity. I was kinda surprised when I took the pictures of the price tags of my items. That was when I noticed it.
Wonderful post! I just love early 50s fashions...so elegant!
ReplyDeleteOh I LOVE that red velveteen dress. What a great post!
ReplyDeleteHi Maureen, how sweet of you to offer me your cobbler's set!..i would love to say 'yes please' but there's one teensy problem..you're in the States & i live in Australia :) cheers & thank you, Marian x
ReplyDeleteI'm glad everyone enjoyed the peek back. I am really enjoying the VTT posts of everyone. Such fun.
ReplyDeleteP.S. Marian - Yes that would present a problem! You know how heavy these things are!
Love those old fashion magazines! Classic fashion does return, that red dress is wonderful! Ooooh red velvet! :)
ReplyDeleteThank you for your sharing vintage inspirations and delicious treasures..H.
ReplyDelete