Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Thrifter Beware!

A few days ago I posted about my thrift newest acquisitions.  I was very excited and decided to tackle my favorite of the bunch last night.  An unusual footstool. 

It's the green one on the top - turned upside down.

I'm kind of glad I did.  I peeled away the green vinyl to find a very pretty muted red velvet cover.  Very close to the color of my sweetheart chair that I posted about a little bit ago.  It was old and in bad condition!  From what I saw, and what I know, I would guess that this was Victorian.  So I peeled that layer off and I was shocked.  The wood base was absolutely covered in black mold.  Yuck!  Yuck!  Yuck!  

From all outward appearances, the stool looked fine, just dated.  Then again, when things aren't done properly (such as layering fabric on top of old fabric instead of removing it), "stuff" happens.  Oh well, live and learn.

5 comments:

  1. Oh NO!!! that is so disappointing!!! at least you didn't just layer another fabric on it ...you could have gotten very sick! thanks for the heads up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You just never know! Good thing you started peeling off the layers.
    Living it up at Lakewood,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Will you try and fix it, or just toss it? Such a shame. You would think it would be on the outside too, but I guess the vinyl sealed it inside. Drat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh man, totally remember that chair and loved it but so sorry to hear about the mold...and am now eying my stool. suspiciously. Although that stool wasnt recovered but hearing that story just scared me... wow

    ReplyDelete
  5. I immediately took it outside and doused it with bleach and left it overnight. No change! Still as black as the ace of spades. This was serious mold! Beyond repair. You're probably right Carol, the vinyl sealed it in and masked any odor. (Although it still wasn't smelly when removed.) Oh well, "live and learn".

    I'm already working on the other green one and so far so good!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails