Saturday, October 24, 2009

Out & About: A Little Jaunt to Providence

Let me start by saying that this New England weather is crazy.  Sunday it snowed big.chunky.wet.blobs.all.day.long!   Thursday it was a balmy 70!  Feeling the need to escape before winter sets in, I took a break from “projects”, and cleaning, and blogging, and hopped in my little Sante Fe with my sights on Providence.
First stop. The Jewish Bakery.  For the best rye with kimmel around.  Something seemed odd when I pulled into the parking lot.  Huh?  Where is it?  Gone!  Boo hoo.  I’ll get over it .  Mission:  Find rye bread.
Next stop – Federal Hill.  Providence’s “Little Italy”.  For slab tomato pizza (for me) and cannolis and biscotti (for my daughter).   The main strip of Federal Hill is on Atwells Ave.  This is what you see upon arrival..
Fed Hill pineapple An archway with a pineapple.  The symbol of hospitality.
I always feel like I have arrived in another era when I come here.  It’s a mix of the people, the architecture…just a mish mash of this ‘n that.  You be the judge.
Fed Hill OLD Canteen

Fed Hill Cassarinos
Their is a section in the middle of Federal Hill that is a quasi laneway (not sure what to call it).  It’s a big terrace only open to foot traffic.  With restaurants and shops along each side.
Fed Hill FOUNTAIN
The entrance (above).
Fed Hill HOTEL
A little hotel.  Hmmm….strange location.  I love the look though!
Fed Hill CONSTantinos
This faces the hotel.
Now for the eclectic. 
Fed Hill BENCH lady
This funky chick made me do a double take when I spotted her from a distance.  Just catching some rays on a beautiful day.  Upon closer inspection I found out her name was Ms. Mannequin.
Fed Hill METAL GUYS    Now look at this cool bunch!   All made from recycled metal!   Gotta love that!  These were outside an art co-op called Gallery Belleau.  The inside was every bit as interesting.  An explosion of color.  Blown glass, sculpture, jewelry – all kinds of fun stuff.  Should have taken more pics.
And when the day was done and I headed north on I-95, I saw this…….
Fed Hill SUNSET
Now isn’t that just the icing on the cake!

Providence is only a half hour drive from home but a world away in “vibes”.    Note to self:  Get there more often.

1 comment:

  1. Wow--what a place--just glorious. Love the architecture!!! The mannequin (sp?) was really cool too. ANd a stunnying sunset.

    http://spindlecottage.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails