I am so tempted to post about old magazines again. I spent last weekend in nesting mode. Hubby was away for the weekend and the weather was dreary, rainy and at some points snowy. So I hunkered down. With a stack of old magazines. Lost in the 40’s and 50’s. So I won’t bore you with a bunch of them today (but I will one day!). I just wanted to show you this Puss ‘n Boots ad from the November 1959 Family Circle. Do you remember Puss ‘n Boots?
Ok – enough already. What I really wanted to post about this week is this very cool Japanese Geisha lithophane cup and saucer set. Also known as Dragonware.
All handpainted. These were all the rage in the 40’s and 50’s. Quite frankly it’s one of the coolest things I’ve ever owned. But you haven’t even seen the coolest part yet. When you are done drinking your tea and the cup is empty, this is what you see in the bottom.
I held this up to a light to take the picture. Isn’t it awesome? The Geisha girl is somehow molded into the base of the cup. Which is completely flat like any other cup.
So that’s my contribution to Vintage Thingies Thursday. Check out more over at our host Suzanne’s blog.

Old magazines aren't boring (usually), but I'm glad you posted the interesting cup and saucer.
ReplyDeletethe cup and saucer are very pretty. I've never seen any like them before.
ReplyDeleteMaureen,
ReplyDeleteThat picture in the cup is awesome. A very unique piece.
Thanks for coming by and telling my about my Martha Washington sewing cabinet.
I think it is a really nice piece.
If i had a place at home for it, I would bring it here instead of put it in the store.
Blessings
barbara jean
what a delightful tea cup..love the dragon design too!
ReplyDeleteI have not even thought about that cat on the tin in so long, WHAT a memory, and I certainly do remember it....I always thought that cat and the commercials were so cute!! That cup is just amazing. Very unusual. Have a great Fall weekend and a happy VTT!
ReplyDeleteYou could never bore me with anything from the 5os! ☺
ReplyDeleteemail me at oneway2him@juno.com and I'll give you Amy the kitten embroiderer's e mail (I don't know if she wants me putting it public) She does hope to open an etsy shop some day but she said that for now, she would be willing to take orders by e mail. I can vouch for her character! ♥
That cup and saucer set is the coolest thing I've ever seen! I think I would use that cup every day if I had one. You took a great picture of it too! And yes, I remember Puss 'n Boots! I love all of the ads from old magazines, and I buy them when I see them. They definitely make for a good read!
ReplyDeleteHappy VTT!
I love old magazines too. Love your cup and saucer. I have an old demitesse cup and saucer similar to yours with a dragon on it that belonged to my grandmother. I always thought how weird it was that she had a cup with a dragon. I never knew they were so popular!
ReplyDeleteYour old magazine is neat, but that cup is so fascinating. I have never seen anything like it. I am so glad you shared it with us as I really enjoyed seeing it and the story behind it.
ReplyDeleteI've never heard of dragonware, but it is gorgeous! I love how you can see the keisha's face in the cup!
ReplyDeleteI love the Puss N Boots ad. And I have never seen a cup like that, now I will be looking in every Japanese cup I see!
ReplyDeleteThanks for visiting my VTT; I'm obviously quite late with my visits this week!
ReplyDelete