Monday, October 19, 2009

Antique Mirror to Chalkboard - Finished! Met Monday

At Last !  I . finished . a . project!    Woooooo-hooooooo!  The best part is that it was one of those things that just fell into my lap.  I think I'll join the crowd over at Metamorphosis Monday - and boy is there a crowd - a talented one at that!

Last week I popped over to visit my friend Betsy.   As always, when I arrived she was painting in her driveway.  I have never met anyone like her.   This woman is one energizer bunny.  She is always working on something and has pretty much every material that you could possibly imagine.  And the skills to match!  Need a piece of old veneer?   She's got it!  Antique wood wheel - check!    I had an epiphany that day.  I came to the conclusion that when I run into a snag in my DIY quests, I get discouraged and that puts the project on the back burner.  Suffice it to say that my dear friend, Ms. Betsy, doesn't ever let that happen.  She always has a Plan B.  Note to Self:  Aspire to be more like Betsy.

So, back to the rant.  On this particular day she had a visitor who was looking to sell an old framed mirror. Was I interested for $20?  Nope.  I was not in the market.   Then the $10 offer was put on the table.  Ugg.  Oy.  No. Yes.  No.  Ok.  Sold!



So this is the old mirror.  The frame is pretty and solid but the mirror was unusable as a mirror. Sometimes it's all about having good bones!  I painted the frame (oops forgot to take a picture!) and let it dry over night.  

 
The next day I sprayed a few coats of chalkboard paint and ta-da!


I'm feeling inspired...........I think I'll have to dig up another abandoned project and finish it up!

16 comments:

  1. Forgot to ask...did you paint right over the mirror? And did you use spray paint? I'd love to try this. Any help you can give would be much appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always wanted to try the chalkboard paint. You did a great job and I love that chest under the new chalkboard!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am loving these chalkboard mirrors and really, REALLY want one. You got a great price on the frame.

    Happy Met Monday...

    XO,

    SHeila :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. How very pretty is that?! You did a great job.

    I was telling hubby just the other day that people need to start fixing their toasters... meaning that we need to fix and repurpose what we have.

    Come and visit me when you can... I have a Pumpkin Head Box giveaway happening this week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a bargain and what a precious look! You did good!
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow!! I love this! And I want one just like it, lol. Good job. :)

    Happy Met Monday!

    http://www.mooreminutes.com/2009/10/walls-wrapped-in-charm.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks all! Chalkboard paint is really easy to use. I used the spray type (in comes in quarts too) - no primer.

    Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I didn't know Chalkboard paint came in spray cans!!!! Gotta go get some and be a copycat ;)

    Thanks by stopping by my bloggy place last week! I love my new little icon too.

    The acorns are now 3 per more than one suggestion!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You did a great job! I must be one of the few in blogland that has NOT made a chalkboard!:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think this is my favorite chalkboard of all time! I love the shape of it. I also think that I'm the only person in the world who hasn't made one!

    ReplyDelete
  11. If I can do, so can you! Gooooo girls!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, now see these are the projects I never do! Where its furniture or something that needs real vision! And spray paint...something that needs spray paint.

    You think its the spray paint thats got me so intimidated?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Maureen,
    Great job! I have had a can of chalkboard paint sitting here for 2 months! Talk about putting something on the back burner. I need to get busy!
    Living it up at Lakewood,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails