One day, several years ago, a local daycare center had their windows replaced. It was my good fortune to drive by that day AND have my dad visiting with his pick-up truck. We loaded up his truck and as a result….I have a stockpile of windows. Yahoo!
I’ve used the windows in a few ways and my most recent project was a quasi message center. One day I hope to do a mini greenhouse.
I forgot the “before” pictures this time. The plain old window was framed out with molding.
It had one broken pane of glass so the original plan was to add chicken wire to the one square but me being me, oops! Another broken pane.

Glued in the chicken wire from the back. If you attempt this please be careful. Chicken wire can be nasty. It bites.
Sprayed the chicken wire white. Sprayed the glass with chalkboard paint. And, voila….

Message center!
For anyone pondering a chalkboard, the paint is available in both spray form and brush on (quarts). My experience has been that the spray works much better on glass. Repeated light coats. I also saw instructions on how to make your own chalkboard paint online but have never tried it. You can find the instructions
here.
If you would like to see more creative projects, visit
Make It 4 Monday at Cottage Instincts. Lots of great projects gathered all in one place.
hello! thanks for stopping by my blog. :) i love this memo board you've created! i am in the works with doing something similar with a window screen.
ReplyDeletehave a creative day,
amyw.
Wow, you were in the right place at the right time! The window turned message center is a great idea, I love it.
ReplyDeleteI have worked with chicken wire and yes, it does bite!
hugs
Sissie
I love this idea. What a great message center.
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing Monica
Love your message center Maureen! I've been waiting for 3 years to find 6 windows to make one of those little greenhouses. I just hope that when I do see them, I'll be able to grab them!
ReplyDeleteHappy Monday!
Carol
p.s. I'm going to check out that chalkboard paint recipe!
Great idea Maureen. I especially love the chalk board idea. Thanks for joining my blog too! I really appreciate your comments. :) Gina
ReplyDeleteHi Maureen, What a great idea for using old windows, I love it. PS yes chicken wire does bite. Can't wait for the greenhouse. Have a good week.
ReplyDeleteThe Swedish Room
Lucky girl, you have a window stash!
ReplyDeleteSuper cool idea! I will keep it in mind if ever I find some windows :)
Love it! Wish I was so creative to know what to do with the windows/frames etc! Great Blog filled with lots of fun stuff! :))
ReplyDeleteOld windows are ground, aren't they? Thanks for stoping by my blog and mentioning the Genesis Project. I couldn't agree with you more, I have used the cooking water for years for plants outside, but never thought about the excess in a shower. Makes so much sense. Sea Witch
ReplyDeleteFab fab fab! Great white message center. Thanks for the link to the backboard paint recipe too. I like the idea for the Project genesis...we sure do need to make change on this planet.
ReplyDeleteGreat reuse of an old window! I love this idea!
ReplyDeleteVery clever! I will try it on my old window someday!
ReplyDeleteThanks for visiting my blog, and for the comment. See you again, soon!