I thought it was really cool. When I found it, it was clipped closed. The leather handles were somewhat worn but I was pleasantly surprised when I opened it up. The fan itself is in excellent condition.
Google here I come.
I found some very interesting ladies decked out in their riding attire. These are from the mid to late 1800’s.
Can you imagine wearing all of this and getting on a horse?
I see that they all have crops but no fans. I guess I’m on the wrong track. Any ideas?
Don’t forget to visit Suzanne for more Vintage Things.
No idea, but that is a neat piece to have found. Those riding get-ups just to ride a horse is unreal. I think I would have had to pass..notice too, all the outfits are all black....
ReplyDeleteHave a great VTT!
I don't have any ideas but I thought it was a very interesting piece. I love the old photos of the ladies in their riding gear....what a different time.
ReplyDeleteJane
I have never seen such a plain fan, either. Perhaps it belonged to a Chinese gentleman, rather than to a lady? I love the photos you found!
ReplyDeleteNo ideas for the fan. I think the ladies had someone help them to the saddle, and down again. Great pictures!
ReplyDeleteYou know, I bet my dad would know who used that kind of fan. I'll ask!
ReplyDeleteGreat fan and photos! Can you imagine wearing all that garb today? Yuk!
ReplyDeleteThat is a neat fan. If you could not find it on E-Bay, I am not sure where you could find it. Maybe an antique dealer. It is a great find.
ReplyDeleteI love the fan. Now I really want to know what kind it is too.
ReplyDeleteGREAT photos! I love your fan too. I remember as a young girl in church, many of the older ladies having such fans in their purses for hot days. A/C was pretty optional in those days, lol!
ReplyDeleteBlessings!
Gail
Wonderful fan! I can see a pioneer woman finally resting on her porch, fanning herself before going back in to...iron!
ReplyDeleteGreat photos of the Ladies! I wonder how secure one felt riding side saddle...sure looked good though!
The vintage photos and the fan are wonderful. I cannot imagine wearing all those clothes and getting on horse either.
ReplyDeleteI think it was probably for a man to use in church.
ReplyDeleteLovely fan! I rather like that it's more utilitarian and less foo foo - perhaps it's a Shaker fan? :) Love the vintage equestrian photos!
ReplyDeleteHappy VTT,
Sally
I've never seen such a fan..I've seen the vintage ones ladies used in church..and the ones that would be left in the church pews for people to use, but never one like this. Could it have been used in someway blacksmithing?? I'm hoping someone will have an answer..I would love to know. Happy VTT..
ReplyDeleteI think it's a mourning fan--either for a male or female.
ReplyDeleteHere's an antique fan in brown on etsy: http://www.etsy.com/listing/37894379/antique-fan-victorian-brown-cloth-1800s
One site I found featured a plain gray fan for mourning: http://www.bctreasuretrove.com/category_46/Fans.htm
This site features a fan that looks identical to yours...scroll down about half way and look for "Old 1800s Victorian Mourning Fan": http://vintage-clothier.com/fans.htm
Have a great night!
Sarah
The links didn't go through (perhaps a security feature on your blog) but you can just copy and past the url.
ReplyDelete:) Sarah
Thanks for your input. Sarah I will check out those links and maybe have an answer.
ReplyDeleteWow, that's cool and yes, I have no idea who would use it. Not especially lady like is it?
ReplyDeleteWhat a neat treasure. :-)
ReplyDeleteI am clueless too. I can't imagine what it would have been like to wear all that heavy clothing. Wow!
ReplyDeleteThanks for stopping by and I could use your input again concerning this:http://www.thediyspot.com/2010/05/drawer-dilemma-part-2/ Also, if your interested, I am offering a giveaway which ends May 29.
So are you keeping or selling this special find?
ReplyDeleteI had no idea that was a fan until I looked at the second picture! I was reading Sarah's comment, and went to that site. I'm reading Gone With The Wind, and it just amazes me how long they expected widows to wear mourning clothes. Years!! Those poor women were so suppressed!
ReplyDeleteHave a great week!
Carol
Love your lady equestrian photos~ I'm with you, that's alot of clothing to wear riding a horse :-)
ReplyDelete