Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Visiting the Past - Vintage Thingies Thursday

A funny thing happened earlier this week. 

I have been playing amateur genealogist recently.  I pondered doing this for a long time but both of my parents are gone and so I had no idea where to start.   Finally, I decided to give it a whirl and see what I could find.   Quite frankly, it has been easier than I thought.   Ancestry.ca has been a fabulous resource.  Among other things, I found my mother’s baptismal certificate almost immediately, in a most unexpected place. 

As part of my digging, I brought out a box of old pictures that I hadn’t seen in years.   As I sifted through them, I separated them to give to my brother and sister their childhood photos.   When all was said and done, I had a very small stack of pictures of my mom.  I was young when she passed in 1976 and my memories were very vague.   As I laid them all out next to each other, I started to see a theme. 
Mom - hand on hip 3 I had memories of conversations that I overheard as a kid about the tough times mom’s family had when she was growing up.  She grew up in a family with 16 children!   That alone would make for tough times.
Mom - hand on hip 1
As I looked through the photos I noticed that more often than not, there she was with a smile on her face…..and that hand on her hip!
Mom - hand on hip 4This may sound silly but I think my young ears had translated the tough times as a terrible childhood for her.  It was really nice to look back and see the smiles and body language of happiness.  I’m thinking “hand on hip” is a bit of an attitude.
Mom - hand on hip 5
Mom - hand on hip 7
And with this little trip down memory lane I am reminded…..life is about attitude!

Look familiar?My cartoon - SEPIANow I know where I get it from! 

Well this post came out of the clear blue yonder but I’m glad that I did it.  I am linking up to Vintage Thingie Thursday @ Colorado Lady’s blog.  Pop over, it’s fun.

22 comments:

  1. Great post! Very touching. Love the hand on the hip in all the photos!
    *hugs*deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the photos...I always have my hand on my hip, too! I never noticed I do that until someone told me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE the photos! I sometimes do the hand on hip thingy too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't that amazing to make a discovery, an ah-ha moment, about family and self. Thank goodness for that attitude!
    Country Blessings,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a precious post. We all can see things we do from our parents, what a great thing to see coming to life. Your blog picture takes on a whole new meaning. Happy VTT

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was such a wonderful,touching post. Thank you for sharing the pictures and memories of your lovely mother. Love that hand on the hip!!!
    Happy VTT, have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE your post and can't wait to check out the website. My mom never shared much about her growing up in Texas. I've been able to find out some of the stuff though after she passed away a few years ago. I have a picture of my mom by a car almost IDENTICAL to the one above of your mom! Hope you keep digging for your family roots!
    Take care, Sue

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely post. Yep your Mummy looked like she had a lot of spunk!! Thank you for sharing the pictures and the memories. Happy VTT!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's amazing that so many pictures have a hand on the hip!

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOL how funny to see that you've picked up your mom's "attitude" with the sassy hand on your hip! What a great thing it is to look back at old photos of our family, we can learn so much!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh what a dear post! Love all your pictures and the hand on the hip is so cute. I noticed that we (my family and I ) do alot of simular things too! How fun!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I haven't checked out Ancestry.com but your post is prompting me to do just that! I've been scanning my families old photos and so enjoy looking at the past. Posing in front of cars seemed to be a favorite pastime.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those remind me of my daughter, she always poses very similar@ Great job looking all this up and getting it together, I know that is a job. Have a great VTT!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great pictures. Cute post!

    Jocelyn
    http://justalittlesouthernhospitality.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very sweet and your mom was beautiful. Blessings, Vicky

    ReplyDelete
  16. Maureen, I adore your lovely post about your mom. She is very pretty and her pose in each picture is a hoot. She has mischief in her pose and yes some attitude. You are so blessed to find those photos. I do think she loved life, it shows in every pic.

    Hugs, Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  17. LOL! Love the photos of your Mom and your finding the hand on hip connection!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That is so wonderful, you're noticing the way she always held herself in photos! It's great she had so many pictures of her growing up years, I only have a few of my mom.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Maureen, your Mom looked pretty sassy with that hand on her hip! Times might have been hard, but it does look like she was happy, and I can see where that would mean alot to you. I hope you continue to investigate your family tree, because it's so much fun!
    Happy VTT!
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  20. I so glad you at least have some pictures of your Mom. Keep researching and let us know what you find.

    ReplyDelete
  21. That was such a nice post and your so right about hearing and translating about tough times... sometimes what you think is true isnt really the persons experience. But 16 kids is alot of kids!

    wow

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love the wonderful photos of your Mom. How nice that you have them to remember her by. Good luck on your geological study!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails