When I looked up the hallmark (Babcock) on Replacements.com, I learned that they had ceased operating in 1831! Not 1931….1831! Beautiful workmanship! The engraved leaves and bird are little works of art.
It has little “arms” on the back for a fork or spoon.
Here’s another cool thing. It’s a flask that was awarded as a trophy! It’s one of those things that makes me love silver even more than I already do. The embossing (or relief) is a testament to the superb material that silver is.
Now this next one, I adore.
A baby rattle / teething ring! The rattle is sterling and could have been engraved with birth details. The ring is lucite (I think) and is supposed to be a teething ring. What a great baby gift! I think this dates to the 1920’s because I found one with engraving and it had “1925” as the year of birth.
So that’s enough of my babbling for this week. Go check out the Vintage Thingies Thursday @ ColoradoLady and Silver Sunday @ GypsyFishStudio (don't forget to visit on Sunday!). Fun stuff.
Oh wow I love your silver finds. That dish is amazing and I love that it is so old! The baby ring is just tooooo cute!
ReplyDeleteThat's an interesting old dish.
ReplyDeletereally lovely items. The dish is stunning!
ReplyDeleteSilver items are so pretty, but a pain to keep bright and shiny. That is a very interesting bowl you have and sounds like it is very vintage.
ReplyDeleteWhat fabulous silver pieces. That first piece is just amazing and to think that it is 180 years old...incredible! Great SS post.
ReplyDeleteJane
These are wonderful silver treasures. The dish is incredible!
ReplyDeletethanks for coming by to say hello. This is a beautiful dish. Love the baby rattle too!
ReplyDeleteDebbie
The first piece is fabulous! I like silver too but I don't like getting it clean so I usually don't buy it.
ReplyDeleteMy Grandma gave my oldest DS a teething ring very similar in 1966 but somehow it got lost in our many moves. He's 42 so he sure doesn't need it now,LOL!
ReplyDeleteI love to find ols silver pieces too. Trouble with that is I never clean them as reqularly as I should. Oh well.
ReplyDeleteYou have beautiful silver objects. I love the dish, it's to die for!
ReplyDeletegreat silver finds....love the little rattle, so cute! I am sure I never had a silver rattle...Have a great VTT~
ReplyDeleteOhhhh,everything is just beautiful. What treasures in silver you have!!! Just to be able to hold something that old would be such a pleasure. Happy VTT, have a lovely weekend.
ReplyDelete1831???!! Wow that is a keeper love it. And they are still in good shape. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteVTT~Old cameras
Wonderful silver...glad to know about the Silver Sunday...I have some very vintage silver that would be fun to show. Peace, Stephanie
ReplyDeletegorgeous silver gems! btw my fav is that darling teething ring too!
ReplyDeleteWow, what nice finds! Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteThat dish is the coolest of cool, I love it!
ReplyDeleteAnd to think, it was made before the silver mining in the western states opened up a cheap and plentiful supply of US silver. So the silver would have probably been imported from Mexico or South America or else obtained by recycling old silver pieces and purifying the metal.
Thanks for visiting my blog
Amazing!
Your early Silver Sunday is certainly making a wow presentation. I love that covered dish, and 1800's!
ReplyDeleteGreat post.
hugs
Sissie
That is amazing! Great covered dish:)
ReplyDeleteThat server is a major find! I love all of your silver finds.
ReplyDeleteThose are truly treasures to adore. So unique and beautiful! I don't think I seen either of those items ever. So neat!
ReplyDeleteLove the flask and the rattle....so sumptuious!
ReplyDeleteThose are all such great finds. That flask is very cool! HSS
ReplyDeleteLove the silver! So pretty! My favorite has to be the teething ring.
ReplyDeleteWhat A Fantastic Dish, the leaves the bird....just gorgeous! Bella
ReplyDeleteWhat gorgeous silver treasures! thanks for sharing them.
ReplyDeleteEnjoy your Silver Sunday!
You have some pretty vintage silver items. I've never seen a teething ring like that.
ReplyDeleteBlessings,
Marcia
Hi Maureen
ReplyDeleteHow fabulous.. your finds are truly unique and what a pleasant surprise you must have had with the Babcock item! Thanks for popping over my way and have a great weekend xx Julie
I like the flask, A good find. Have a good day, Julian
ReplyDeleteyour treasures are lovely! I think I need to find a baby teething ring for my new nephew--thanks for the idea!
ReplyDeletekate
What great finds- Each one is so unique and beautiful. I especially like the silver serving piece:)
ReplyDeleteThe lidded dish is gorgeous...so much detail! I love that silver flask...it is so much a cool vintage feel of yesterday.
ReplyDelete♥, Susan
wow what an amazing treasure to find. I just live for those. It is truly gorgeous. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteOh, what a great antique find that covered dish is!
ReplyDeleteBeautiful treasures...glad I found your blog! Looking forward to catching up!
ReplyDeletethat silver butter dish is AMAZING! what a great find, it shined up beautifully! i found a similar one once, but it was closer to 1900. love finding that old stuff!
ReplyDeleteWhat great silver pieces you've shared today. The baby rattle is so cool and the butter dish age is amazingly old. What a fun find you have. Thanks for sharing in SS.
ReplyDeleteGretchen
The dish is stunning, that is probably the finest I have ever seen!!!!
ReplyDeleteA family heirloom for sure!!!!
I love the baby rattle too!
Hugs,
Margaret B
I've popped in to a couple Silver Sunday posts, but I don't think I've seen anything as unique as that teething ring! My favorite though is that flask. I especially love the category: Gents!
ReplyDeleteThanks for the advice on scanning my old greeting cards before I do any cutting. I will definitely take that advice. And I'm with you, I don't think I could ever cut up an old magazine!
Have a great day Maureen!
Carol