Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Fresh From the Garden Vintage - VTT and Fertilizer Friday

I don’t consider myself a collector of anything really.  I do however have a love of old magazines and seed catalogs.   I love the graphics, and colors, and advertising.  So at this time of year when we are chomping at the bit for winter to be over and spring to arrive, I would like to share a vintage nursery catalog from Spring 1956.
1956 Seed Catalog






1956 Seed Catalog ENV BACKThis is the envelope from the catalog.   Addressed to Mrs. Sommerfeldt of Wisconsin.



 1956 Seed Catalog RETURN Mrs. Sommerfeldt didn’t order from them that year – this is the return envelope.

I love the transformation that spring brings.  The trees budding and the flowers bursting with color and life.   One of my favorite things is the fresh food that we grow.
1956 Seed Catalog STRAWBERRIES 
Among the earliest arrivals will be juicy strawberries.  Can’t you just taste a fresh from the garden strawberry?

1956 Seed Catalog PEACHES
….and apricots (never had a fresh picked one but…)

1956 Seed Catalog BERRIES
…….and berries

1956 Seed Catalog APPLES …..ohhhh and crunchy, fresh from the tree apples!

1956 Seed Catalog CARDINAL Oh, and let’s not forget, soon the windows will be open and the birds will be singing, and fledglings will be flying.  Well you get my drift.  And if you are still inundated with snow and winter, and can’t see the light at the end of the tunnel, just close your eyes and know that the glory of it all is right around the corner.   Can’t you just smell the hyacinths…..

I am linking up to two favorite linky parties this week.  Colorado Lady’s Vintage Thingy Thursday and Tootsie’s Fertilizer Friday.  Surf on over to take a peek.

25 comments:

  1. The seed catalogs are fun and beautiful. And I can't wait to taste the strawberries :-) Bella

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your catalog...I love seed and flower catalogs, but this vintage one is the best!!! What a great thing to have. Have a wonderful VTT!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I would like one of those cardinal bushes in my yard. I'm going to look them up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What fun catalogs. I love to see all things growing :-) Even if it is just the picture.

    Jocelyn
    http://justalittlesouthernhospitality.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the pictures and thoughts of spring. I can't wait for fresh picked strawberries! Hmm, wonder what made that cardinal shrub the "shrub of the century?" :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Seed catalogs should be called dream books. Most people realize the their results won't match the pictures, but the pictures inspire a lot of dreams of the perfect garden.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i love those old magazines and catalogues too..you've got a lovely selection :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful pictures! These would be lovely framed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I never see such pretty seed catalogs like yours.. thanks for sharing.. beautiful photos..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Really neat seed catalogs, I usually start looking at them around Feb. so I can dream of pretty gardens in my yard. Thank you for your kind comment. Happy VT
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so ready for Spring. What a great vintage catalog, thanks for sharing. Peace, Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  12. When I was growing up, my family always got see books. Helped them in the planting time. I enjoyed seeing some of them again.

    ReplyDelete
  13. There is nothing that smells so sweet as a hyacinth.I truly believe it is a flower of the angels. I loved looking at the seed catalog..ohh
    yum to fresh strawberries and fresh from the garden veggies. Happy VTT,have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  14. OH they're beautiful! I agree that vintage ads and magazines have such colorful artwork in them, don't they? Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yes, I can smell it, it's so wonderful! Happy Fertilizer Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a cool catalog! I can practically taste the strawberries and apricots.

    ReplyDelete
  17. How fun! I'd definitely love to find some vintage catalogs like this one.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Just gorgeous! I was born Spring of that year...too funny!*hugs*deb

    ReplyDelete
  19. My dad used to get all these catalogs - oh man. And he kept them forever but he doesnt have them now. I wish, though...

    ReplyDelete
  20. How great is that, a catalog from 1956! Which by the way WAS a very good year even if it means turning 54 ICK!! Anyhoo I have a really cool picture made from photos cut from an old catalog. I fell in love with at this junk shop and bought it for a little bit of nothing. It will go in my cottage garden studio when I get it finished. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  21. How cool! I get catalogs for seeds and flowers, but the pics you showed are really oldies! Fun to look at!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Fun and so cool! Maureen, I've been sending you emails and I know some of them are not going through so please do not think I'm ignoring you. I hope it will get fixed soon!
    Cindy at Lakewood

    ReplyDelete
  23. That was fun! I'm so glad you shared it with us. I missed VTT this week. ;-(

    ReplyDelete
  24. girl...this is a fantastic post!!! I love the seed catalog!!! It's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails