Monday, February 1, 2010

Waning Winter - Retro Tuesday & Vintage Thingies Thursday

In what I hope are the waning days of winter, I thought I would post some wintery things. The sooner this season is behind me, the happier I will be. 

Woman’s Day – April 1953
Ad for good old Kleenex.  Tracy has been in a relationship with these lately.  Poor girl.
Little Lulu Kleenex ad
Goodness gracious – Little Lulu!  I had forgotten about her.  So I googled her.  An interesting little character she was.  A girl before her time cuz she stood up to the boys!  If you care to read more, check this out.

Family Circle - December 1959Nestle Cocoa Ad
Hot cocoa to chase the winter chills away.   With vitamins no less!  Memories of hot cocoa after skating or sledding.  It always did the trick.

Family Circle – November 1959
Campbell Soup 1 Campbell SOup 2
……mmmm, mmmm, good!    I’m guessing the Cream of Vegetable wasn’t a hit because I’ve never heard of it.

Cross your fingers for tomorrow.  Being February 2nd, I hope Mr. Groundhog predicts a quick demise for winter.   Just goes to show you how desperate I am when a groundhog is my hero of the day.    Yesterday was Groundhog Day.  Six more weeks of winter?  Noooooooo!


So that’s my post for this week’s Retro Tuesday hosted by Tracy at The Crazy Suburban Mom and Suzanne's Vintage Thingies Thursday.    Check it out – always fun!
LOGO
  

22 comments:

  1. I love the great ads, and it's always worth buying those old magazines! I remember buying some Lulu tapes at the dollar store when my daughter was little, and she watched the heck out of them! Lulu was definitely ahead of her time!
    Have a great day Maureen!
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tissues, tissues... tissues... I swear I almost did a tissue ad, just cause and than I just couldnt stand it. I had to drop off the car for service this morning - which is why I was late posting. I was sniffling so much the guy reaches over grabs a tissue box and puts it on the counter for me. I mean, they are following me, I tell ya!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eugh, tomato rice soup- That is my mom's favorite from when she was a kid.

    That cocoa ad is adorable, lol at "now with vitamins!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Funny I kind of remember 'cream of Vegetables soup by Campbell's. Am I halucinating? I don't know....lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great vintage show for today. I enjoy seeing all the old ads and pictures in the older magazines.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks soooo much for the memories...these ads are soooo CUTE!!!! Thanks for coming by for a visit and I hope you will come again:)

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's so interesting to look at old advertising. These are great.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember Little Lulu. I never liked any of the condensed soups, especially the cream ones.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I remember Little Lulu as well. Love that the coupon for the hot chocolate was eight cents.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the vintage ads! I loved little Lulu too!
    Great post. Thanks for sharing.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Vintage ads are so fun! They seem to hark back to a such a gentler time. Too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  12. great graphics. Awww, warm soup and a comforting kleenex.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Where would we be without campbells soups? This is a great find! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, what fun ads. I remember little lulu...she was one of my favorites! Thanks for the reminder today...happy vtt!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good ads, they are so much fun to read. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great ads! I loved Little Lulu!

    ReplyDelete
  17. interesting adversts and thanks for sharing.. wonder have any one ever try the recipes? hehehe happy belated VTT

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, I love those ads! Makes we want to curl up with a warm cup of something . . . and to blow my nose! LOL!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails