So I think I figured it out. It’s all about the silversmiths. They must truly love their work and it shows. The attention to detail. It starts with the with the shape and ends with the scrolling designs that they apply.
Without the scrolled handles and engraving this would be ho hum. Thanks to a silversmith, it’s a little work of art.
Even the hallmark is pretty.
This is a cool little thing. An olive fork / prong thingy.
Then there’s also the patina. For those who like their silver all buffed and shiny, it’s “tarnish”. To me it’s the sign of something strong enough to only let the surface show the passage of time.
Since it’s Silver Sunday, check out all the pretty silver hosted by Beth at Gypsy Fish Journal.
Maureen, you have some interesting pieces. Lvoe that two handled thingy! Linda
ReplyDeleteI totally agree! The workmanship on the silver is like holding a little piece of art and it's usually affordable too! I kept reading your post and saying what is that thing--- an olive prong? so cool. That's what I love about SS! Thanks for stopping by, Theresa
ReplyDeleteVery pretty! I hope you received my email.
ReplyDeleteCindy at Lakewood
Maureen, I have to agree with your thoughts on silver. The silver smith must have loved the artistic quality of his work. I also agree that the patina of age is a nice plus. As I said in my post today, it was a difficult desicion to polish away the years of patina. Happy Silver Sunday!
ReplyDeleteWhat an interesting olive piece! The design/etching on that bowl is just lovely... not in my normal vocabulary either, except for silver.
ReplyDeleteNothing prettier than silver. I love your Silver Sunday post.
ReplyDeleteSissie
Wonderful Silver Sunday post!
ReplyDeletexoxo...Kathy
Very nice Silver & very Interesting Olive Grabber.... I would have never thought~
ReplyDeleteCheryl
That olive fork is so cool...in a million years I would not have guessed its function. I am always in awe of the silversmiths.
ReplyDeleteSusan
That's a nice olive fork, I've never seen one like that before. Thanks for stopping bye my blog! Have a great week!!
ReplyDeleteMaureen,
ReplyDeleteJust to let you know...my email is not working. I'm receiving, but nothing is going out. Will get in touch as soon as I can.
Cindy at Lakewood
Oh wow - I still havent gotten to silver sunday and I do have things too. Just a few though. this is really way cool and I've never seen anything like it... that fork is the best :) And it makes me want to go buy silver which is a bad bad thing!
ReplyDelete