Monday, December 7, 2009

Vintage Washboard Spiff Up – Met Monday & Making It For Monday #3


It that time again – Metamorphosis Monday and Make It For Monday!   I have no shortage of projects going on right now.  Ahhhhh -  Tis the season!

A week or so ago, I bought myself a little gift.  I posted about my new Cricut here.  Which, incidentally, I keep referring to as a cry-cut instead of cricket.    Maybe they should have spelled it “crickut” and I would get it.  Whatever.

So I’ve been playing with it.  Mostly wasting cheap paper.  I also decided to try some contact paper (free since I already had it here) instead of using the expensive vinyl that they sell expressly for the Cricut (expensive!  2 – 12x24 sheets $9.99).  
Washboard LAUNDRy After playing with some of the settings, the contact paper worked well!  And it sticks well too!

So I decided to spiff up an old washboard.  You can get these a dime a dozen at antique malls. 
Washboard BEFORE
Before….

After cleaning with a damp cloth, I decided to whitewash it.  A little white paint, some water and and old sock.
Washboard DURINGI liked it but thought I would whitewash the glass too.   Easier than taking it out of all the ridges around the wood.
Washboard AFTER  Added some lettering from the Cricut and ta-da!

One other thing with the Cricut is that the cartridges are really expensive.   I‘ve read somewhere that there is a program that will work with the Cricut and you can use all the fonts you have on your computer.  I’ll have to look into that.

Thanks for visiting and don’t forget to stop by Met Monday at Between Naps on the Porch and Make It For Monday at Cottage Instincts.  Always interesting Stuff.

11 comments:

  1. OH MAN! That is fabulous! Love the white and the letters... perfection.

    Maureen, so nice :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice job. Your washboard looks great. Contact paper is a good idea. I'll have to try it on my robocutter.

    I imagine you can use vinyl made for other cutters. (I buy it in rolls for signs at work, but I love the idea of pretty contact paper for home uses.)

    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun! I just got a Cricut myself, or rather I'll be getting one for Christmas. My hubs got me one at a Thanksgiving sale. Had NO idea how expensive the vinyl was, WOW.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooooo! This is so cool looking! I want a cricut (whiney voice). The whitewash really makes it too.

    thanks for linking to Mi4M!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would have never thought of using contact paper in a Cricut. I want one too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. enjoying my visit here on your blog.

    thanks for visitng mine.

    blessings

    barbara jean

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maureen, Anyway I can get you to post that last comment about the birds and the bees to the NJ moms site? Been trying to generate the comments for them...but I seen to be bringing them back to me!

    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW you did a great job!! You know...everytime I read Criket, I read cry cut too!! LOL
    I thought i was the only one! LOL
    *hugs*deb

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails