A couple of weeks ago when the weather was nasty I spent the weekend going through old magazines. Hubby was away for the weekend and I hunkered down. Oh what fun! Except for the scanning part….not so much fun.
So this week’s RT post will show you some of the pages of the October 1948 – “
Calling All Girls”. I had to laugh at the name. That might have worked in 1948 but it would have a very different connotation today, don’t you think?

Certainly most will recognize this young beauty. Elizabeth Taylor would have been a tender young 16 years old. About 4 years after “National Velvet” and a year before she played Amy March in “Little Women”. One of the last true movie stars still around. An American icon.
Speaking of teenagers….. Can you imagine presenting these shoes to your teenager today? My how things change!
On the other hand, I find this a little racy for the day. Then again, I doubt anyone but a teenage girl would have picked up a magazine called “Calling All Girls”.
Flirty girl.
Well all girls know that it’s not OK to be natural. Time to paint your face. 
A nice old ad for Walt Disney jewelry featuring Mickey Mouse, Minnie Mouse, Donald Duck and Pluto. You can tell that Minnie & Mickie are older because of of the longer upturned noses. The Coro ad is cool because the logo gives it a timeline. I like this Walt Disney quote:
"I only hope that we don't lose sight of one thing - that it was all started by a mouse."
Walt Disney
Update to old RT post: I just wanted to give an update to something that I posted a few weeks ago. You might remember my “sweetheart chair”? The original post is
here.

A little vintage chair that I love but had no idea as to age. Lo and behold……I found my sweetheart chair. In the same magazine.

So now I know! 1948’ish!
And that’s it for today. Go take a peek at more retro and vintage at Tracey's
The Crazy Suburban Mom and Suzanne's
Vintage Thingies Thursday. It's fun!
Now that's cool to find that style of chair in a magazine from 1948! Fun pics!
ReplyDeleteLiving it up at Lakewood,
Cindy
I just love those pictures from your mags! I hope you had some old 45's playing too :) What a fun day you must have had.
ReplyDeleteI know what you mean about scanning though, I dislike that part too :)
Thank you so much for sharing your treasures!
Robin
Oh my gosh, that is so cool that you found a picture of your sweetheart chair in that magazine! And the magazine itself is pretty cool too. Love the ads. Another thing to add to my list of things to look for: Calling All Girls magazines!
ReplyDeleteHi Maureen! You asked about those checked jars. They're just Smuckers Toppings jars. My husband needs to eat more Caramel Topping, so that I can have more with the blue lids!
ReplyDeleteMy post is almost the same as yours!!!
ReplyDeleteThose are some great ads that I've never seen! And I've seen a lot! And I can't believe you fond that chair! lol
ReplyDeleteTracy
Come on over and visit with me. I'm sharing an award with you!
ReplyDeleteLiving it up at Lakewood,
Cindy
I always enjoying looking at these old ads, laughing at some, but enjoying the dreams of how it once was. :)
ReplyDeleteBig Wooow!!! I like the one which has Elizabeth Taylor in there, I fall in love with her since her movie Ceopatra.
ReplyDeleteAll things here is so adorable.
My Bangkok Through My Eyes!
You Got A Posty
All Little Things I Like
Thailand In Photos
I love old magazine ads, and that chair is so sweet....amazing how wonderful it looks after all this time.
ReplyDeleteHappy Vintage Thingies Thursday...and have a great weekend....Jury duty 1 day...yea!
I love looking at old ads. At first I thought those shoes looked kind of childish, but I think they are not too different from some of the shoes being worn today (though I have seen any with straps around the ankle).
ReplyDeleteYou have some very neat old magazines. Seeing some of those pictures brought back a lot of vintage memories.
ReplyDeleteAwesome ads! Love the graphics. aren't youglad we don't have to wear those underwear? The teen crowd? Yuck. so funny.
ReplyDeletewhat a FUN post, i love those vintage fashion mags..how great to be able to date your gorgeous chair!
ReplyDeleteVery cool ads. Love the chair too :-)
ReplyDeleteJocelyn
http://justalittlesouthernhospitality.blogspot.com/
Oh, weren't things so much more innocent back in those days!
ReplyDeleteLove your sweet heart circa 1948 chair.
What great fun your post was..and to find your chair..how lucky can you get??? :). Happy VTT..and have a lovely weekend.
ReplyDeleteSome of those ads really bring back memories-how wonderful that you found your chair in a magazine too!
ReplyDeleteI was really enjoying all the vintage photos and the innocence of the times and then something hit me: OH MY GOSH WHAT A GORGEOUS & FEMININE SWEETHEART CHAIR! You are one lucky woman!
ReplyDeleteI'm glad to be "following" you now so I don't miss out.
Those old magazines are so much fun. Thanks for doing the chore of scanning and sharing.
ReplyDeleteKathy
I love the ads, especially the one for the bras and girdles for the high school crowd!!! LOL ANd your chair! That is so neat that you found an ad for it!!!!! I love your blog!!!!
ReplyDeleteHow cool that you found that picture with your chair in it!
ReplyDeleteHi!
ReplyDeleteWhat fun magazine photos! I loved looking at them all!
Happy VTT!