Thursday, October 8, 2009

Vintage Paper Dolls - VTT

Paper Doll 1 Are these not the sweetest little girls?

From simpler times.  1964 to be exact.  Unbelievably they are in mint condition – never played with!   Someone thought they were too cute to use.

Do they even make paper dolls anymore?

They kind of remind me of my sister and me.  Not that we were ever that cute!  But we were an odd pair.  Like these two, my sister had dark hair, dark dark eyebrows and big brown eyes and I was the blonde hair, blue eyed one – and only 19 months apart.  Our grandmother – a feisty little Irish woman who breast girth was probably greater than her height – used to to call her the “wee black one”.  In her lilting Irish voice.  “Nanny” passed away when I was about 10 so that memory is from over 40 years ago.  It’s funny what we remember sometimes.  Now if only I could remember what I did yesterday.  Or where I put my cell phone.
Paper Doll 2 I know for sure if these had been mine, the condition would not be quite so pristine.
Paper Doll 3
If you want to see more “blasts from the past” visit Colorady Lady’s Vintage Thingies Thursday.  It’s fun!

Calling all gardeners........For those of you who might be interested, I'm including a link to a post that I had in my gardening blog this summer.   It's a page from an old Salzer Seed catalog (of Lacrosse, Wisconsin) dated January 1941 - love old seed catalogs!    If you click on the image you will be able to read a letter from the president where he urges Americans to grow gardens to help in the "country's defense and American prosperity".  What has come to be known as a Victory Garden.  Plus some pretty vintage graphics - bonus!   It's really cool - check it out here.

28 comments:

  1. Those paper dolls are so sweet! I was a big paper doll player when I was little! I still have alot of them too. Gonna go check out that link right now!
    Happy VTT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They're adorable. My sister is the dark haired one, with copper highlights. I'm the blonde, with gold highlights, but I'm 6 years older. So nice to see your find!

    ReplyDelete
  3. they're adorable!..i played with paper dolls too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are so cute. I used to love cutting up paperdolls and making clothes for them! Mine were never as neat as your though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the little darling girl paper dolls. I have cut out many of them, but they were from a Sears catalog. We could not afford store bought ones, but still had fun. Thanks for sharing these cuties and leaving me a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've always liked uncut paper dolls better than cut ones--even when I was little.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love,love,love tour paper dolls. They were always a favorite toy of mine and my sisters and we played for countless hours with them. I do so wish they still make them..of if they do, where I might find them.. And a p.s. It was so neat about your seed catalog and planting a Victory garden... I have an old Victory Garden cookbook..I found it in a box filled with all sorts of older cookbooks and recipes and such at one of the older shops in town.It's one of my favorite vintage things..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes I think paper dolls are a lost art. With
    the new tech they have virtual dolls they can
    dress up and no paper scraps. I miss Betsy Mc Call paper dolls that came in the magazine. I
    had a post on those awhile back. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a darling set of paper dolls. My daughter's favorite thing to play with was paper dolls. She has all of her old ones because she says they don't make good ones anymore!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Adorable paper dolls! I too loved paper dolls as a girl...btw Dover Books has a large selection of paper dolls-many of them retro, movie stars, presidents, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely paper dolls! We used to draw new dresses for our dolls. I think there still are young girls who love paper dolls.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, these little precious paper dolls are just adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I loved paperdolls when I was little..my mom used to make them for us!

    ReplyDelete
  14. They are adorable and sadly, I don't think people play with them anymore. I would. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I LOVED paper dolls back in the day - - - and I STILL love them. Yours are just darling, and what every little girl in the 50's WANTED to look like.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I played with paper dolls, but don't remember them being as cute as yours. Adorable!
    Thanks for sharing!
    Living it up at Lakewood,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  17. Funny what we remember....and forget! LOL...those are wonderful :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. ps, I loved paper dolls...and always tried to be so careful... and always made a mess of them

    ReplyDelete
  19. These are absolutely fabulous! I love all things paper, so vintage paper dolls just make me super happy!

    Oh...and to answer your question on the mill I talked about on my blog - yes...this time we went to the Linwood (the new Bernat). There is a really great one in Medway that I like a lot, too. They get flower frogs in from time to time and I love those things!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love paper dolls--It seems like the only ones I see around now are the magnetic ones...hopefully, they still make the paper ones somewhere!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Maureen, Thanks for visiting my VTT post. Did you see on my right sidebar I host a group called NE Bloggers? Check it out and leave a comment if you decide to take the button.
    Also, I live in Franklin, too!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love the time when dolls were round little pink-cheeked dumplings, their clothes modest and proper, even in those micro-miniskirts!

    rachel

    ReplyDelete
  23. These paper dolls brought back a lot of memories....so cute....

    Have a great weekend and a wonderful VTT!

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is what kids did before T.V. and stuff that entertained them without their having to think.
    I remember playing for hours with these little people. Brings back good memories.Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh my, these dolls are so cute!! thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hello Maureen, the paper dolls are adorable. I am sure if I had those cute paper dolls there wouldn't be anything left to share. I have four sisters to share with. LOL.

    My father grew a Victory Garden and there was a contest in our town with a $100. prize for the best garden. My father won the $100. His picture was in the paper and we have the original photo. That was so much money back then. it would make a good post huh?

    Hugs, Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  27. I just love paper dolls! When I was little, my future sis- in- law and me used to buy them and she would help me cut them out....I remember getting a lot of them at grocery and drug stores....This set is great! Love the dolls and the clothes!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi, Maureen! Thanks for coming by my blog! I love to meet new people and make new friends.

    These paper dolls are so cute! I actually own some paper dolls that I bought from Dover for our home school and I plan on buying some for my Grandgirls, too. ♥

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails